Saturday, March 30, 2013

Oh right, the Easter Bunny.

There is no fucking Easter Bunny...at least not in our household.

Screw Pinterest and you creative people that are celebrating with natural-dyed eggs, solid chocolate bunnies and pastel-colored outfits you've bought for your children. Really, my kids are lucky I remembered to snag a few items to put in their baskets. And thank God their grandmother supplemented our treats with some traditional finds (chocolate bunny, malted chocolate eggs).

My daughter is asking questions about the Easter bunny and Santa Claus, and she's smart people, really really smart. Our baskets are upstairs and empty and today they helped me shred some construction paper and newspaper with which to line the baskets. Yeah, that sounds pretty "green" of me and it looks hip but it makes a fucking mess. The story I'm going with is not much of a story at all- we reuse our baskets year to year, we brought them up a week ago and they've remained empty. Story goes here that they're empty until Mom & Dad fill them the night before. Yes, that's right. We're forgoing the Easter Bunny myth.

Seriously, the Easter Bunny?! What a stupid story and I don't think my kids will miss out if we just tell them it's stupid fuckin' story that's being perpetuated by lying parents everywhere. Okay, we won't go that far. But after months of talking about Santa (yes, of course HE exists. I'm not totally lame.) I just don't have it in me to talk about a fucking bunny who visits our homes just to leave us with candy and, coincidentally, Target $1 Spot finds,  all in the name of Easter.

Tomorrow, when my precious children wake, they will find their baskets filled (okay, that is an overstatment... I better shred some more paper to fill the gaps) and we will celebrate the day with church (I'm holy, people, haven't you ascertained this by now?!), a shared meal (even that I sort of forgot about) and Easter baskets. It will be a great day, a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment