Thursday, March 21, 2013

Making Time.

I want to make time for myself.

And yet at this stage of parenting I'm so, so limited.

I like to think of my life as BB3 and AB3. Before Baby 3 and After Baby 3. BB3 I was living an easy life with two children, ages four & six years young. They'd wake up in the mornings, fix themselves a bowl of cereal, get themselves situated with Netflix Watch Instantly or PBSkids.org while my husband and I slept. It was glorious. They'd dress themselves, we'd make our way to school, I'd head to work and life was grand. And get this, at the pool last summer, I READ A BOOK WHILE MY CHILDREN SWAM. I told you life was grand.

Now, AB3, I am kind of back to the beginning. And I have to tell you, I was fucking scared that I would somehow be resentful that I was having to respond to the needs of a newborn. But lucky for him I love him so much. I love the kid so much I'm leaking milk just thinking about him.

As much as I love him, however, I still want to make time for myself. And this, my friends, is a challenge.

Here's what's working:

Sign up for a class. I signed up for a couple yoga classes. And a Pilates class. And I fucking love going to them. I take my child to childcare at the gym and I head off to my class. Just once the childcare goddesses came to get me because my babe was needing me, but I am confident he is in good hands and well-cared for. And even though I miss him and my mind wonders to him during my classes, I appreciate having that time where I can focus on me...most of the time.

Go to work. I am blessed to take my son with me to work, but I'm actually going to be returning to my part-time work WITHOUT my baby periodically and then will transition back to work while my babe stays home with his dad. I love what I do at work, so I count this as MAKING TIME FOR MYSELF. I consider myself lucky to be in this position!

Say no. I can't be everything to everyone, including my own children and husband. Sometimes I need to just say I'm not available or I can't take on that extra responsibility. If I'm going to be a good partner, mother or friend, I have to be happy within myself. And so I say no just so I have the time to soak in the tub, shamelessly use the computer or otherwise do something that brings me joy.

Everyone has time, the same amount of time, actually, and it's just a matter of what your priorities are. And I challenge you to fucking make time to just do something for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment