Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dear Children.

To my three children.

I love you. I love you. I love you.

I want only good to visit you and be with you, but I know you will have moments of bad, and in advance I want to tell you I'm here for you in those times of trouble.

I want you to feel love, to give love and to know love, intimately and without fear. I want you to know just how awesome and amazing and fabulous you are. But I don't want you to think you are faultless and perfect because that does not exist. And when you make a mistake or act like a shithead, I want you to apologize, because people like that, and it'll feel good in your heart to accept responsibility and to try to right your wrongs.

And when you're figuring out how to love someone, don't forget to love yourself. I might advise you not to put someone else's needs above your own, but there may be times when you want to put his needs first. But make sure your relationship fosters teamwork and taking turns.

Someday you will grow older and fall in love. When this happens, I will celebrate with you and smile as you talk about her and tell me how amazing she is. I will be excited when you share with me stories of your times together, and I will celebrate your growing relationship. But if she decides she doesn't want to be with you or you decide you don't want to be with her anymore, I will be there, showering you with my loving support. I will hold you as you cry or listen to you as you rant. And I'll feel for your heartache. I'll remind you that even though it hurts, that intense pain and sadness doesn't last forever. I promise.

I want you to feel passion but do not rely on passion to power you through a life-long relationship. It takes work and it takes communication and it takes respect. Find someone who will bring all of these things to your relationship.

Lastly, please, never be nervous to tell me about the man or woman who captures your heart. I will love you all the same and will welcome that person into our family regardless.

I love you. I love you. I love you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment